The Department of Facilities and Transportation Services is responsible for providing safe and efficient transportation for all eligible students to and from schools.  To accomplish this monumental task, a dedicated team of routers, safety officers, administrative specialists, drivers and attendants, work together to maintain a high level of service for all of our students.  The following information clarifies our operational procedures and will address concerns you may have.  It is our desire to provide you with the best transportation service and to facilitate the student’s educational experience. Should you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us at 703-446-2050.

Student Bus Assignment and Route information can be found in the student's FCPS Blackboard course. 

Bus Transportation:

Bus transportation is provided for students living more than one and a half miles from school. Riding the bus is a privilege, which may be denied to students who choose not to follow rules designed to ensure safety.

Bus Rules:

  1. Stay seated and face front at all times.
  2. Keep arms and heads inside windows.
  3.  Keep all talking to a conversational level so the bus driver can hear warning sounds while driving. Absolute silence is required at railroad crossings.
  4. Obey the driver at all times.
  5. Do not tamper with the emergency door.
  6. Do not throw anything out the window.
  7. Do not wave or shout at pedestrians or other vehicles.
  8. Keep out of the road while waiting for the bus.

Late Bus Days and Departure Times: 

Monday: 4:45 p.m.

Tuesday:  4:45 p.m.

Thursday:  4:45 p.m.

Late buses begin in mid-September and end late May. 

Exception to Ride

Exception to Ride Form

If a child is ineligible to ride a school bus, a parent or guardian may request an exception to the transportation policy to allow the child to ride.  When the Office of Transportation Services receives the request we will respond as soon as we can do so.  Requests made for the start of school will not be considered until all eligible riders have been placed on routes and the various runs have been resolved as it may pertain to overload issues. If you Exception to Ride request is approved, transportation will be in contact with you. Please fax all Exception to Ride Forms to (703) 690-0221.

Permission to Use Alternative Bus Stops

Transportation requires that the schools refrain from granting permission for students to use a stop other than the students’ assigned stops until October 1.  This time period is used to adjust student counts on the school bus routes.  In the event a student requests permission to utilize a different bus route the school may approve this request for no more than five days and the student must provide the school bus driver with the TR-50 form. Please submit all requests to Antonio DiBari, Assistant Principal.

Return to Policies & Procedures Home Page