Post-Secondary Opportunities and Information
Translate this page
Post-Secondary Information Websites
- FairTest - Colleges and Universities who do not require SAT/ACT Test Scores
- Virginia Dept. of Education
- Virginia's Private Colleges - Provides links to admissions, financial aid and information about private colleges in Virginia.
- FindurU - A resource to assist in researching colleges/universities
- Private Colleges and Universities in the United States - A listing of all private colleges in the US that have web sites.
- Petersons On-Line - Broad based information source. Some user options are offered for a fee.
- Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute Information - College profiles related to higher education for Hispanic students
- Colleges and Universities Around the World - Yahoo's directory of colleges and universities around the world that are online.
- Two Year Colleges in the United States - A listing of the Two Year Colleges in the United States.
- US News.edu - Includes a college planning calendar, self assessment, campus profiles, insider strategies as well as the Best Colleges rankings as seen in US News and World Report. Be sure to click on "College" to get all the information.
- Princeton Review - Go To College - Contains information on finding and choosing a school, getting into college, and how to pay for college.
- The Common Application Online - Download the Common Application, which is used by some colleges and universities.
- College Express - General advice & information on colleges
- National College Fairs - Provides a list of National College Fairs.
- Think College Early - Sponsored by the US Department of Education.
- Northern Virginia Community College Articulation - Northern Virginia Community College Articulation Agreements with State Colleges/Universities.
- Historically Black Colleges and Universities - Provides information about historically Black Colleges and Universities.
Career Information and Planning Websites
- US Department of Labor: Employment & Training Administration (ETA) - A comprehensive employment site from job searches and resumes to exploring career options as well as common employment issues. Be sure to check the links to the top 20 requested items.
- US Bureau of Labor Statistics & The Occupational Outlook Handbook - This definitive job description publication is on line. Click on Publications and Research papers, Then click Occupational Outlook Handbook in the middle of the button group. Be sure to check the employment projections link at the bottom of the page.
- The Riley Guide - Employment opportunities and job resources on the internet
- Career Resource Center - The web's directory of career directories
- KnowHow - A great career education and planning site
- National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities - Explore hundreds of private colleges and universities
- National Association of State Colleges and Land Grant Universities - Universities who demonstrate accountability and stewardship to the public.
Gap Year, Volunteering, and Special Programs
- Volunteer Fairfax - Information on the volunteer opportunities available in Fairfax County for students and adults. Be sure to click on "volunteer".
- Job Corps - Information on the Job Corps programs, eligibility requirements, and addresses and telephone numbers of sites across the US.
- AmeriCorps - Information on AmeriCorps as part of Corporation of National Service.
- Peace Corps - Information about the Peace Corps and how to become a Peace Corps and how to become a Peace Corps volunteer.
- Outward Bound - Information about internships available for an alternative year to college directly after high school.
- LD on Line - The interactive guide to learning disabilities for parents, teachers, and children.
- HEATH Resource Center - The HEATH Resource Center of the American Council on Education operates the national clearinghouse on postsecondary education for individuals with disabilities.
- AmeriCorps NCCC: Application & Selection: This webinar covers NCCC’s application and selection process. If you are interested in learning more, please sign up for upcoming webinars and programs here.