School Improvement & Innovation Plan
2017-2018 Lake Braddock Secondary School Improvement Plan At-a-Glance
End of Year SMARTR Outcome – Raise the Bar
By June 2018, 100% of students will increase their proficiency in the Portrait of a Graduate skill of Communicator based on a self-reflection rubric.
Portrait of a Graduate (POG) standards and rubrics will be implemented into student assessment.
- CTs will utilize current POG rubrics or develop their own to assess students on their skills as communicators on a regular basis.
- Engagement activities will focus on allowing students to practice their skills as communicators and reflect on their progress.
- CTs will dedicate time towards discussing activities and strategies to support students who struggle as communicators.
Professional Development will include Portrait of a Graduate skills training.
- Options will be provided to the staff to attend professional development sessions to increase the implementation of activities that align with the POG standards for Communicator.
End of Year SMARTR Outcome – Close the Gap
By June 2018, the total number of SWD/ELs students who are identified by at least 2 indicators from last year and/or the number of indicators that students are identified by will decrease by 20%.
SWD/ELL Students will be identified by the following data indicators:
- Attendance (10% absent or more)
- Failed previous year English SOL
- Failed previous year Math SOL
- Failed at least one core class previous year
- 2 or more D/Fs in previous year
- Suspended previous year one or more times
- Earned less than 6 HS credits previous year (for HS students)
- High school GPA below 2.0 (for HS students)
School will develop a list of ALL students who are flagged for 2 or more of the indicators above and develop interventions to support the growth of these students.
- CTs and Middle School Core Teams will develop intervention plans for all student identified as at-hope based on the indicators.
- Teams will develop common interventions and strategies to support these students and celebrate their progress and success.
- SOSAs will expand their intervention plans and tier their response to chronic absences.
Cultural Proficiency training and relationship building will be a focus to support the emotional needs of students.
- Cultural proficiency training will be provided to leaders around the building and they will provide turn around training to departments throughout the building.
- Expand official and unofficial mentoring programs for the identified students.
End of Year SMARTR Outcome – School Culture
By June 2018, 100% of students will feel connected to an adult, activity, or peer group at Lake Braddock as measured through a short electronic survey given to students through MS Health and P.E./HS English classes.
Provide multiple mentoring opportunities to students (Both formal and informal).
- Continue and expand the staff mentoring program that was implemented two years ago.
- Begin implemented Connecting All Bruins (Silent/Informal) mentoring program designed to track student connections.
- Provide Cultural Proficiency training to teachers to expand staff capacity to build meaningful relationships with students.
Increase opportunities and participation in activities, clubs, after-school programs, and community.
- After-School Activities – Kick Off Event (MS After School Activities).
- Advertise in more media the availability and types of after school programs for students.
- PBL project in Middle School designed to help students become involved and connected to important cause in their community.
End of Year SMARTR Outcome – Staff Learning
By June 2018, 100% of the Lake Braddock faculty will participate in at least 2 different trainings that focus on student engagement strategies, measured through verifying trainings attended by staff on MyPLT.
Staff will be provided multiple pathways to professional development opportunities that focus on Student Engagement.
- Provide information on North Tier/Academy classes to teachers on a regular basis.
- Provide training opportunities during School Planning Days focused on student engagement/blended learning.
- Inform teachers about On-Demand trainings (in-person and online) that will support student engagement.
Dedicate time during CLT/Department/Faculty meetings to share engagement strategies.
- CLTs/Departments will set aside time each month to share and discuss engagement strategies that teachers have implemented into the classroom.
- All departments will have one representative that attends ACTR (Accessing Content Through Reading) meetings and provide feedback/training to their departments.
- All CLTs will implement new engagement strategies into their lesson plans.
- Staff survey collect at end of year to reflect on effectiveness of trainings
For additional information regarding this School Improvement Plan, please contact the school principal.