Bridging Bruins - Basic Criteria & Eligibility Requirements
- The experience must be an extension of the classroom: a learning experience that provides for applying knowledge gained in the classroom.
- The experience has a defined beginning and end.
- There are clearly defined learning objectives related to the professional goals of the student. It is important that learning objectives be both academic and career-driven.
- There is supervision by an on-site supervisor -- preferably with expertise and educational and/or professional background in the field of study.
- There is routine feedback provided by the on-site supervisor and a formal evaluation conducted at the end of the experience
SENIOR INTERNSHIP ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
- Be a current Lake Braddock senior.
- Possess a minimum 2.5 GPA for the 1st semester of your senior year AND have a minimum grade of “C” or higher in each class at the end of the 3rd quarter.
- Have no more than five excused absences - to include Bruin Block - during any quarter prior to the start of your internship; excluding school-sponsored activities or college visits.
- Have no unexcused absences during your senior year.
- Have no significant disciplinary infractions during your senior year.
- Have completed all graduation requirements including AP and state mandated tests.
- Obtain teachers, administrator and counselor signatures signifying good standing for graduation.
- Obtain parent/guardian signature authorizing participation in the Bridging Bruins internship program.
- Virginia Civics Seal/FCPS Service Cord: Bridging Bruins is a separate and distinct learning experience. It may not be used to fulfill service hours required for the Virginia Civics Seal, FCPS Service Cord, or any curriculum-based service learning activities.
- Senior Survey: All applicants must have completed the required senior exit survey.
- Performing Arts Policy: Students enrolled in choir, orchestra, guitar, theater and/or band MUST attend all teacher requested rehearsals, after school rehearsals, and dress rehearsals.
- AP Economics Policy: Bridging Bruins may coincide with the requirements of EPF. Students enrolled in AP Econ must complete their EPF requirements outside of class by the instructor’s deadline.
- Grading: Participating students’ “traditional” classes held at Lake Braddock SS will conclude at the date the internship begins. All participating students’ final grades for the fourth quarter will be their current grade on May 18th (except for Online Campus and dual-enrollment courses). Participating seniors will be excused from all end of course exams (except for Online Campus or dual-enrollment courses). Students who fail to successfully complete all internship requirements will be required to take all course final exams.